When Transient Workers Count Too was established in 2004, we decided to work for the improvement of conditions for both female and male workers. Our forerunner group, The Working Committee 2, stated its goals as follows:
TWC2\'s aim is to promote respect for domestic workers through education, and secure better treatment of domestic workers through legislation and other means.
We, the members of TWC2, believe that:
1. All labour is dignified, and the contributions of domestic workers to the economic and social well-being of Singapore must be recognised and valued.
2. Everyone is entitled to be treated with respect and dignity, with no discrimination of any kind, such as along lines of race, colour, gender, language, religion or class.
3. No one should be subjected to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
4. Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, to reasonable work hours and days off, and to fair wages.
5. Employers have a right to competent domestic workers who agree to and abide by the terms of their employment contracts.
6. Employment agencies should conduct their business in a responsible and professional manner, and in accordance with the objectives listed above.
It is in the spirit of these objectives that we set out on the new society\'s mission.
The aims of Transient Workers Count Too are:
1. To be a central resource centre for foreign worker matters and a repository of information and material relevant to the position of foreign workers.
2. To be a coordinating and referral point for all stakeholders.
3. To work towards the professionalisation of the foreign domestic worker industry and a mutually satisfactory relationship between employers and foreign domestic workers.
4. To encourage greater consideration for the requirements of foreign workers in general and to promote good employer-employee relations.